Monday, October 4, 2010

Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta 2010

This Saturday I went to my first Balloon Fiesta. It was amazing! It's one of those things like the Grand Canyon or the Great Wall of China - pictures just don't do it justice. You have to be there for the whole experience! There were at least 100,000 spectators filling a grassy field amongst the balloons during Mass Ascension. This is the start of the day where 500 balloons launch in waves.



Crowd favorites - Joey, Lilly and now baby bee. The field went wild as they launched!

I liked when the balloons were tethered filling with air and you could walk around them as much as seeing them in the sky. There was a constant roar of propane tanks.

Some of the crowd. For two hours we were all little awestruck kids.

We really could get close to the balloons! I met visitors from MA, TX, IL, Japan, Germany - you name it. Some of them come every year just for the fiesta! It is the most photographed event in the world. I know I'll be attending every year now. So special....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One of these days, I need to see this in person. It looks so neat!

Unknown said...

looks so pretty! those bees are my favorite too. looks like a great fun filled day. Have you ever been in a balloon Carla? It is awesome so, peaceful.